Posts Tagged 2008 olympics
One of the most famous cities in the East and about to become a financial hub for the entire world, Beijing is destination for the New World. Beijing is a metropolis city in Northern China and also the official capital of the People’s republic of China. The city is under the direct administration of the central government and continues to be a major political, cultural and educational center of the People’s Republic of China. It’s one of the few cities that have been a very important part of Chinese heritage and culture since many centuries. It’s really strange, but Beijing is one of the few cities in the world which has been renamed constantly. During 1115-1234 it was named as Zhongdu, from 1271 to 1368 it was named as Dadu. Marco Polo named Beijing as Cambuluc and again in 1949 after the end of the Chinese Civil War, the Communist Party of China renamed it as Beijing.
Beijing Facts and Information
The present situation of the city is as fascinating as the history of Beijing. It has witnessed a unique transformation with passing of time and has reinvented itself as one of the most modern and advanced cities of the world. It’s situated at the northern tip of the North China plain and is shielded by mountains on the north. Let’s have a look at some more interesting facts about Beijing.
- Beijing is the second largest city after Shanghai and also the capital of the People’s Republic of China.
- It’s no secret that the Chinese love their bicycles, which is why once you get to Beijing, you will see thousands of cyclists on the roads.
- Beijing also hosted the 2008 Olympics.
- In the Imperial Times, the city was also known as Peking.
- There are 16 districts and 2 counties in Beijing.
- If you want to go on a trip to Beijing, remember that not many people speak English. So make sure you know the basic Chinese phrases or you are going to face a tough time.
- Beijing is called one of the ‘Four Great Ancient Capitals of China’.
- The literal meaning of the term Beijing is ‘Northern Capital’.
- The Beijing zoo is one of the most famous tourist destinations of the city and its popular for its Panda Bears. The Beijing zoo is also the largest zoo in the country.
- The hottest tourist destination in Beijing is ‘The Forbidden City’. The Forbidden City comprises of 980 buildings and 8707 bays of rooms. It was declared a World Heritage Site in 1987 and is listed as the largest collection of old wooden structures in the world by the UNESCO. Read the rest of this entry »